Pet Door Stoppers & Interior Decor
We may be a bit biased, but pet door stoppers are one of the best ways to add a little style and personality to your home without spending a fortune. Door stops have come a long way since the 1870’s when they were first introduced by the African American inventor O. Dorsey. With many different shapes and styles to choose from, finding the right one for your home is key.
So Why Door Stoppers?
A quick search of the internet will bring up a whole range of different door stop designs, from the traditional (boring) designs to those that help to brighten up your interiors. Available in a range of different heights and finishes, let’s have a look at some of the more traditional options:
1. Skirting door stops
These are one of the most popular styles, and is what you will see in most new-build houses (because they are easy to fit and aesthetically don’t look too bad). You can get fixed or flexible skirting door stops, but spring door stoppers are the most popular as these have a spring-like body to absorb the force of the door rather than it bouncing straight off.
2. Floor mounted door stoppers
These work in the same way as skirting door stops, except they are fitted into the floor instead. They come in a wider range of styles and heights, and are often used in commercial properties. One of the great things about floor mounted door stops is that they can also create a barrier when a wall isn’t present.
Door wedges are portable, easy to use and require no fixings. They are usually used in front of doors to stop them from closing, but can also be used on the inside of closed doors for added security.
4. Portable weighted door stops
Finally, we have portable weighted door stopers (like the ones we sell here at Dora Designs) which are also placed on the floor but aren’t permanently fixed. These are incredibly versatile as they can be moved when required, and placed either behind or in front of the door as you please.
Benefits of Door Stoppers
Whilst door stoppers may seem like a practical thing to have in your home, there are actually lots of hidden benefits of door stops, including:
- Preventing damage to the wall - the most obvious benefit, but an important one!
- Prevent doors from snapping shut - doors can be quite expensive, and all it takes is a gust of wind for your door to slam against the skirting board and leave scuff marks over the wall.
- Reduce maintenance costs - see point above (damage reduction).
- Allow for unobstructed flow of traffic - this is more of a convenience thing. Nothing is more annoying than carrying shopping through the house while navigating doors.
- Reduce the risk of injury - we have all had the dreaded stubbed toe caused by a door swinging forward, or a few bruised fingers after trapping your hands in a door frame.
- Improve room ventilation - using a door stop to prop a door open means that air can flow more freely in between rooms.
- Provide extra decoration - if you have a plain colour scheme in your home, a decorative pet door stoppers can add the hint of colour you need to brighten up the place.
Why Choose A Pet Door Stopper From Us
Here at Dora Designs we stock a range of pet door stoppers to suit your individual style. Whether you have a favourite pet who you want a miniature version of, or whether you want to match your interior design with something from the Plaid Collection, we have a huge variety to choose from.
As always, we are open to suggestions too, so if there is an animal that you feel is missing from the collection then just get in touch with us and we will do our best to accommodate this!